- HG - Legal Research
- KFF - Health Facts
- Missing Children
- MW - Geography
- NACo - Counties
- ParkNet - Parks
- State Page
- ZEAL - Directory
Famous People from New Jersey
Biographies, Famous People from New Jersey
William (Bud) Abbott (1895 - 1974)
Comedian made famous in the popular team
Abbott and Costello with routines such as
“Who’s on First;” born in Asbury Park.
Charles Addams (1912 - 1988)
Cartoonist that created The Addams Family;
born in Westfield.
Edwin (Buzz) Aldrin (1930 - ) First
astronaut to leave a spacecraft and walk in
space, he later became the second person to
walk on the moon; born in Montclair.
Judy Blume (1938 - ) Fiction writer
for youth with well-known books such as
Superfudge and Tales of a Fourth Grade
Nothing; born in Elizabeth.
Jon Bon Jovi (born John Francis
Bongiovi) (1962 - ) Musician, born in Perth
Aaron Burr (1756 - 1836) Vice
President of the United States under Thomas
Jefferson, born in Newark.
Joseph Campbell (1817 - 1900) Founder
of the Campbell Soup Company; born in Camden
Grover Cleveland (1837 - 1908) The 22nd
and 24th President of the United
States; born in Caldwell.
Lou Costello (1906 - 1959) Comedian
made famous in the popular team Abbott and
Costello with routines such as “Who’s on
First;” born in Paterson.
Stephen Crane (1871 - 1900) Author
most famous for The Red Badge of Courage; born
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Famous Physicist, lived in Princeton.
Whitney Houston (1963 - ) Popular
singer and actor that was the first to sell 10
million copies of her first two albums; born
Jerry Lewis (1926 - ) Popular comedian
during the 1950s and 1960s famous for The
Nutty Professor and hosting the Jerry Lewis
Telethon for Muscular Dystrophy; born in
Jack Nicholson (1937 - ) Actor and
Academy Award winner for One Flew Over the
Cuckoo’s Nest made famous in Chinatown and The
Shining; born in Neptune.
Paul Robeson (1898 - 1976) The first
black all-American football player, famous
singer and actor; born in Princeton.
Paul Simon (1941 - ) Popular singer in
the 1960s made famous with songs like “Mrs.
Robinson;” born in Newark.
Frank Sinatra (1915 - 1998) Actor and
Singer starting in the 1940s; born in Hoboken.
Bruce Springsteen (1949 - ) Singer
made famous with album Born in the U.S.A.;
born in Freehold.
John Travolta (1954 - ) Actor made
famous in Grease and Saturday Night Fever;
born in Englewood.
More Famous People of
- William Count Basie band leader,
- Joan Bennett actress, Palisades
- William J. Brennan jurist, Newark
- Lloyd H. Conover inventor, Orange
- James Fenimore Cooper author,
- David Copperfield magician,
- Helen Gahagan Douglas
- Allen Ginsberg poet, Newark
- Savron Glover choreographer, Newark
- William Frederick Halsey, Jr.
- Lauryn Hill rapper, South Orange
- Donald Fletcher Holmes inventor,
- Ice-T rapper, Newark
- Alfred Joyce Kilmer poet, New
- Alfred C. Kinsey zoologist, Hoboken
- Ernie Kovacs comedian, Trenton
- Dorothea Lange photographer,
- Jerry Lewis comedian, film
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh author,
- Norman Mailer author, Long Branch
- James W. Marshall discovered gold
in California, Hunterdon
- Patricia McBride ballerina, Teanick
- Eger V. Murphree inventor, Bayonne
- Dorothy Parker author, West Bend
- Zebulon Mongomery Pike explorer,
- Joe Piscopo comedian, actor,
- Edward J. Rosinski inventor,
- Philip Milton Roth author, Newark
- Ruth St. Denis dancer,
- Antonin Scalia jurist,Trenton
- Norman Schwarzkopf army general,
- Kevin Spacey actor, South Orange
- Amos Alonzo Stagg football coach,
- Alfred Stieglitz photographer,
- Meryl Streep actress, Summit
- Albert Payson Terhune journalist,
- Dave Thomas restaurateur, Atlantic
- William Henry Vanderbilt financier,
- Sarah Vaughan singer, Newark
- Dionne Warwick actress, singer,
- William Carlos Williams physician,
- Ray Liotta actor, Newark
- Edmund Wilson literary critic,
author, Red Bank
Experience the World Book Difference!
Since 1917, World Book, Inc., has set the
standard for providing accuracy, objectivity, and reliability in research
materials for both children and adults.
For over 80 years, World Book has been committed to publishing encyclopedias
and references that meet the highest standards of editorial excellence while
keeping pace with the technological developments that define the computer age.
This commitment has culminated in the publication of the number-one selling
print encyclopedia in the world, World Book, and market leading electronic
products such as World Book Multimedia Encyclopedia and World Book Online.
Recent publications include World Book Student Discovery Encyclopedia, a new
Childcraft-The How and Why Library, and Animals of the World.
Click here to Visit the World Book Store.
The World Almanac for Kids Online!